1st Saxon Street Girls’ Brigade
It was with sadness that 1st Saxon Street Girls’ Brigade stopped meeting in January 2017, as there were only two girls attending. The Company was affiliated in October 1949 and was started by Mrs Ethel Pledger with 20 girls. In 1962 Mrs Brenda Jaggard, a founder member of the Company, became Captain. During her time in charge the Company gained many high awards and five girls completed their Queens Award, the highest award in Brigade. They also won the national team game finals at the Albert Hall in 1984. In 2003 Brenda retired as Captain and handed over to Mrs Marina Baldock.
The Company continued providing girls with fun evenings and camps, helping them learn new skills through games, crafts, and badge work. Also, fulfilling its aim to help girls to become followers of the Lord Jesus Christ. Through weekly devotions we helped girls understand the basics of the Christian faith so that they could make their own informed decision about Christianity. In the past few years there have been fewer new recruits and the girls in the Company have grown up through the ranks, including leadership training, and have now gone on to university. The Company has touched many lives through the 67 years helping girls to ‘live life to the full’.